High-growth companies able to attract exceptional talent to the UK with new Scale-up visa.

The United Kingdom this week launched a new immigration route to attract top talent into the country.

The new Scale Up visa system aims to encourage innovation by streamlining the process for ‘Scale Up’ businesses to bring those who are “very highly skilled” and “academically elite” to the UK.

To be eligible for a Scale-up visa, you will need a sponsor. Your UK employer must meet specific eligibility criteria to sponsor scale-up workers.

To qualify for a Scale-up Worker visa, you must:

  • have a confirmed job offer to work for an approved scale-up business for at least 6 months
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK
  • have a job offer to do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid a minimum salary in your new job

Proficiency in English
You can prove your knowledge of English by:

  • passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider
  • having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained through study at a UK school that you began when you were under 18
  • having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English – if you studied abroad, you’ll need to apply through Ecctis (formerly UK NARC) for confirmation that your qualification is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD

Documents you’ll need

  • your certificate of sponsorship reference number – your employer will give you this
  • proof of your knowledge of English
  • a valid passport or other document that shows your identity and nationality
  • your job title and annual salary
  • your job’s occupation code
  • the name of your employer and their sponsor license number – this will be on your certificate of sponsorship

How soon can you apply?
You can apply up to 3 months before the day you’re due to start work in the UK.

How long you can stay
With a Scale-up Worker visa, you can stay in the UK for 2 years, and apply to extend your visa when it expires.

You can extend your visa as many times as you like by 3 years, as long as you still meet the eligibility criteria. After 5 years, you may be able to apply to settle permanently in the UK.

Eligible businesses will be able to attract highly skilled talent including:

  • scientists
  • engineers
  • programmers
  • software developers
  • research and development professionals
  • economists
  • architects
  • technicians
  • financial and investment advisers


News Source: UK Government Portal: www.gov.uk
The Economic Times India NRI: economictimes.indiatimes.com/nri