The UK Spouse Visa, also known as a UK Marriage Visa, is a settlement visa that allows you to live together with your British partner in the UK. It is valid for 30 months and can be extended depending on eligibility conditions. Application for a Spouse Visa requires several supporting documents. Here’s a guide for you to understand the procedures.


To apply in this category, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Your partner must also:

  • be a British or Irish citizen
  • have settled in the UK – they have Indefinite Leave to Remain, settled status, or proof of permanent residence
  • be from the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status (must be settled in the UK before 1 January 2021)
  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • holds a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa


Here are the details of the most important documents that need to be attached. Any mistake can lead to the rejection of your application.

  1. CITIZENSHIP – You and your partner must submit your previously held passports to prove that both are British or Irish citizens. Suppose the sponsoring spouse has indefinite leave to remain, settled status, or permanent residence. In that case, the proofs for these should be submitted. 
  1. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE – You need to submit one of the proofs mentioned:
  • You and your partner need to prove that you are in a civil partnership or marriage recognised in the UK.
  • Proof that you have been living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply
  • You can prove that you are a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

You can request to extend your stay if your wedding/civil ceremony has been delayed because of COVID-19.

Informal/personal communication letters, greetings cards, travel tickets, receipts, photographs, and text or social media messages are not considered strong evidence of your relationship. 

  1. ACCOMMODATION – You and your partner need to provide proof of a place of accommodation. You both have to live together permanently to be eligible.

How to prove that you live at the same address?

You can submit any of the following –

  • a tenancy agreement, utility bills, or council tax bills proving that you pay bills together / live at the same address
  • a bank statement from a joint bank account, or confirming that you live at the same address.
  • a letter from your doctor or dentist confirming your address
  • bills such as home repair, vet, and others.
  • Proof of being on the voting register for the same address
  • student finance paperwork showing that you live at the same address

There are two ways to meet the language requirements

Academic Qualification – You fulfill the eligibility criteria if you have a degree or educational qualification taught or researched in English. If your qualification is from a UK university or college, your degree certificate can be submitted as proof.

For degrees from outside the UK, you have to receive a confirmation through Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) that your qualification is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D.

Approved language tests – You must prove you have passed level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale for your first visa application. You can opt for a higher level as well.

If you pass level B1 level or higher, the test will be accepted if it is an approved English language test when you apply for settlement after 5 years.

You might be eligible for an exemption if you cannot take an English language test because of COVID-19.

  1. FINANCIAL SECURITY – You need to submit proof that you and your partner meet the minimum income requirements. Any of the following documents can be submitted:
  • Bank statements showing you or your partner’s income
  • Payslips of 6 months
  • A letter from an employer (dated, on a headed paper). The letter should contain the following:
  1. A statement that you or your partner are employed there
  2. the job title or position
  3. Duration of employment
  4. Contract details
  5. How much you or your partner earn before tax and National Insurance
  6. How long you or your partner have been paid your current salary
  7. It should also state that the payslips are genuine.

All the documents mentioned above should be obtained through the proper channel and attached in the correct order. Additionally, you will have to submit your medical records. To get your UK Spouse Visa without hindrances, approach us. Our expert consultancy and legal team can guide you through the process.